Alrighty, have found myself in a bit of a situation and am in need of advice:
First off, am ridiculously proud of Mini-Me, he was chosen to be a Grade 7 prefect at his school for 2009, and has been literally sleeping with his shiny new badge and sash (sash: wtf? they look like little military minions, but I digress...) for the past two days.
SO... my baby is growing up, no doubt, am so proud of him and I hope being recognised in this manner and given some pretty hectic duties and responsibilities is going to boost him bigtime in 2009, just in time for high school. (Oh my word that's another kettle of monkeys altogether, I break out in a cold sweat just thinking about it...)
BUT (taking the above into account, though this is an unrelated incident) he has received an invite to a party. S'ok, they cost me a small fortune in R50 notes and cards, but there seem to be many, many parties.
First problem? It's a school night. I know it's breakup day tomorrow, but still. School night.
Second, nigglier problem? It's from a giiiiiiirl. Again, s'cool, he went to a chick's party last weekend. But this girl? She's 13. Mini-Me's 11. Why on earth would a 13yr old want to hang around with an 11yr old? Apparently a couple other kids from his grade are going, but I don't know the parents. It's a pool party. With a best dressed prize for best girl's swimsuit and boy's swimsuit. Erm. Wait. What?
AND....pool party. My mind goes to slippage, fallage and... other scary '-ages'. Which I can't think of right now. But they all spell CONCUSSION, alright?
But what bothers me most? I know what goes on at 13yr olds parties. I remember those. I was such a good girl, but it didn't stop someone trying to ram their pre-pubescent tongue down my throat while making for second base like my bra was on fire. And the thought of dark corners and pre-teen hormones make me kak. my. pants.
On the other hand (see how these apron strings are apparently wrapped so tight they're cutting off my air, along with my ability to make a firm decision?!) what's the worst that could happen?
Realistically, he's never had a full-on proper girlfriend - not for lack of them trying, though. I reckon he'd be awkward to the max if cornered by a female, and the most that could happen would be what? He kisses a girl...and he likes it? (Oh Lord I despise that song. I apologise.)
Gah. My rational mind says: "Let him go, he has every right to go celebrate his achievements and the end of a tough year - let go a little and trust you've had 'the talk' openly and often enough that he'll make good decisions."
My mommy mind says: "Woman, are you mad?! Don't you remember those parties? He's too. young for those. Plenty of time for that later. Keep him home and deal with being 'sounfairyoudon'ttrustmeyoukeepmelockedupinabox' for the umpteenth time this year."
If I concede to him going, I'm going to call the parents and ask if this thing is going to be well-supervised, without trying to sound Amish or like I think their daughter is a harlot.
(Which I don't. I'm sure she's lovely. I just wish she wouldn't come be lovely next to my 11 year old.)
Here's where you insert advice. Because I'm turning this over and over in my mind so much that I can smell burning.
HELP!
(P.S. Cath has a bitchy kidney. And she's fucking ornery, too. Feel better soon, sweetpea. One hokey pokey dance in darned socks coming up...)
(P.P.S. I loved this. Watch it. Seriously.)
Thursday, December 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
hahaha. i say let him go. what's the worst that can happen....
he gets kissed by a girl? whoop-dee-doo. it's going to happen sooner or later. there's nothing you can do to prevent it.
ps: about the hook up - do you live in DBN? Really?
Agh I knoooooow.... I'm sure he's hardly innocent, and given the work I do I'm aware of how much better it is to be open about these things so he can talk to me without feeling squirmy.
I just want to kind of shield him a liiiittle bit longer. From older women. Bahahaaaa...
I'll probably let him go. And sit at home folding large loads of washing to prevent myself driving over there and parking in the shadows;-)
Thanks for the advice. I was driving myself crazy and changing my mind every five minutes.
(And yes, I do indeed - let's make a plan?)
Post a Comment